Monday, December 19, 2022

Christmas Cards

 Believe it or not, after a hiatus of several years, I'm sending out Christmas cards this year.  I have them all addressed and ready to be dropped off at the post office tomorrow.  Why did I stop sending cards?  I suppose because for a while social media took the place of sending something snail mail.  Since I don't post anything on social media, I figured I would send something via snail mail to let people know I think of them despite not seeing them on a daily basis.  It's amazing how many people have touched my life and I don't think they realize it.  

On the snarky side of Christmas cards, I got one from Bridezilla who married my nephew back in early October.  That was the Eureka wedding reception where we drove 4 hours each way through Sasquach Territory.  We gave my nephew and Bridezilla a handsome gift for their wedding despite my reservations.  Personally, my nephew can do better and I think Bridezilla is an opportunistic gold digger.  I bit my tongue, swallowed my thoughts, attended the wedding reception in Eureka, smiled, and wished them well.  

Duty done.  We attended their Eureka reception, participated, chatted, smiled, mingled, gave a generous gift, etc., etc., etc.  What more is to be expected? 

Well, according to Bridezilla duty is NOT done.   We got a Christmas card in the mail that had two skeletal hands that were joined together with the slogan, "'Till death do us part, The Rumplestiltskins."

Rumplestiltskin is HER last name.  Damn.  My nephew did end up changing HIS last name to HERS.  

The card had pictures of them along with a long monologue of how they "eloped" earlier in the year, but had a reception afterwards and how happy they were.  Great.  Wonderful.  Yipee.  Blow horns and throw confetti.  However, the card went on as to how they want people to continue to contribute to their GoFundMe wedding site. 

Really?  Still begging for wedding money?  Begging has taken on such unseemly angles these days disguised as a Christmas card greeting. 

Well, I did send them a Christmas card.  Nothing else.  Rumor has it they will both be here Christmas Eve and Christmas morning.  I will welcome them in my house and gladly feed them...and I WILL be happy to see them.  However, if they are looking for a money tree, they will have to go somewhere else to shake it down.  




No comments: