Sunday, March 22, 2015

Filing Taxes.....grrrrrrrrrrrr

It's that time of year (again) for Quiet Rage to go on a rant regarding filing taxes.  Being I'm an organizational freak of nature (total German characteristic) with balancing my accounts to the penny each and every month, scan my receipts and supporting documentation and meticulously file, and use accounting software to track all of my personal finances even *I* cringe at the amount of detail and TIME required in justifying keeping my own money I worked very hard for. 

It takes a tremendous amount of effort to keep my personal finances in order.  Each and every one of us are all operating like a business owner -- the business is called life.  Sure, I'd rather be at the beach, hiking, or traveling to some fun place than managing a general ledger for Uncle Sam to raid on his whim.  Why am I putting so much effort to please the government? 

For a long time I was everybody's go-to tax filer being I had the basic skills.  If your taxes are not complicated and pretty standard I can whip them out pretty quickly.  I did this pro bono for years just because I naively believed that good deeds produce good karma.  The problem was that I was being taken advantage of.  The straw that broke the camel's back was preparing and filing taxes for an acquaintance and then she asked me for a LOAN so she could pay Uncle Sam. 

What????  Come again???  Yeah.  I prepared her taxes for FREE and then she had the audacity to ask me for a LOAN.  Why it rubbed me so raw was that as she was dumping her bag of receipts on my desk for me to vet through she was gushing about the wonderful time she had with her boyfriend over the summer touring Italy.  She had plenty of money for that. 

That was it.  I was done being everybody's tax organizer, filer, and personal bank.  The icing on the cake?  She was upset that I would no longer do her taxes nor fund a loan.  I can't make this stuff up, people. 

No comments: