Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Maui: Surf's UP!

One of the rewards of my job is to travel to some cool places.  This time it's Lahina, Maui.  This morning drinking my coffee I witnessed humpback whales offshore jumping and splashing.  I also witnessed giant sea turtles frolicking in the bay.  Also frolicking in the waters are the surfers as this is "high surf" season for them.

I learn a lot from surfers.  They don't fight the waves.  They go with them and let nature do the heaving lifting.  Surfers relish in the power of Mother Nature without question or ambitions to dominate.  Surfers know instinctively that Mother Nature is in control and any attempts to control Her are futile and wasted energy.  Fighting Mother Nature would be a waste of energy -- like arguing with your wise grandmother.   Surfers take Her power and adapt it to their enjoyment.  That's exactly what She wants us to do.


No comments: