Friday, February 26, 2010

Donations

Just about every school in every town in America is looking for donations -- especially in California. It's pretty sad that money is scrounged from couch cushions by parents trying to make the public education system work.

Anyway, asking local businesses for donations is always a mixed bag. Truly, we hate to ask. I think I would rather cold call strangers or schedule myself for a root canal than pounding the pavement begging.

It's for the kids. That's the mantra that keeps me going. Anyway, during my tenure of begging, I've noticed a strange pattern.

Local business who are struggling are by FAR more generous than the corporate big-box stores. It's sad because the local businesses don't have it to give away, but they are giving despite the economy. They are truly a part of the community. Here's an example typical fund raising scenario:

I walk into locally owned and operated Joe's Hardware, and the manager greets me by name. He knows my kids are in the local public school system and knows why I am there. Without even flinching, he offers a gift certificate for $X amount for the silent auction. As I am leaving, two of his long-time employees bid me farewell and wish me luck on my efforts. Heck, they will be at the same fundraiser as well, and we will more than likely share a drink together.

I walk into a corporate store (i.e., Staples, Michaels, Target, Trader Joes, etc.) The manager is nowhere to be found. The pimple-faced assistant to the assistant manager on duty will field my donation request only if I fill out a 10 page form for submission to corporate headquarters on the east coast. Once submitted, it will be routed to the "community involvement" branch for corporate approval. If approved, we may be allocated a percentage of sales for the period of three weeks prior to the end of their fiscal year-end close. However, we won't know of any definate donation amount until their stock value posts ten days after final audit report submissions.

Fine. Whatever. We, as schools, are desperate and will take what we can get. When I go to follow up on the donation request, the employee contact is no longer working there, and the paper trail has been lost. I am met with practiced sorrowful, not-quite-seemingly-remorseful eyes and a plethorea of apologies that I need to start the application request all over again.

Whatever. I still don't have anything concrete from big box stores I can put out on the silent auction table for people to bid on or to put in a basket on Saturday night.

Tell me again just HOW big box stores are helpful to the community other than for gross exploitation?

No comments: