Sunday, February 28, 2010

2010 Olympics Closing Ceremony



After 16 days I am sick of Canada's only attempt at a national image is that of the Canadian Mountie. Come on. We all know how much you love hockey, moose meat, and donuts.

Canadians do have the ability to laugh at themselves (for the most part) as demonstrated tonight at the closing ceremonies with a parade of giant, inflatable, beavers. Enough said. Moving on. I'm sure pun intended.

Canadians are very friendly until it comes to hockey. They will give you the shirt off their backs until they find out you're from the opposing hockey team. It's at that point they will douse you with gas and light you on fire, smile, and rub their hands in the warming glow as you turn into a pile of ashes before their eyes. Oh well, at least you served a purpose to them.

I would know growing up in Minnesota. Many Americans consider Minnesota to be a part of Canada. Well, we are..... kind of.

Talk to my BFF Mich who has kids playing hockey back home. They travel to Canada for tournaments. Here is a statement from Mich regarding Canadians and their so-called friendliness. "Canadians are cut-throat psychos. They have a Jeckyl and Hyde personality disorder when it comes to hockey. They especially hate losing to U.S.A. teams. I guess their having winter 4 minutes longer than us totally affects their brains and sense of well-being."

Anyway...... I'm off track. What I missed about this year's Olympics was any reference to Bob & Doug McKenzie and to April Wine -- the ultimate in Canadian icons. I'm sure 95% of you have no clue what I'm talking about. For us who grew up close to the Canadian border, we truly missed it.....

So I will close with this....

No comments: