Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Cards

This is the first year in my adult life that I have not sent out Christmas cards. Yes, the world is still spinning on its axis. Generally, I pride myself on being the "first" to get my card off in the mail. Not this year. It's time I finally come to terms with my OCD tendencies.

I ran into an old, old friend at the grocery store the other day. She gave me a big hug and gloated that she "beat" me with getting out her Christmas cards this year. I told her that I wasn't sure if I would be getting any cards out this year. The look on her face was priceless. The gave me a look like she wanted to ask if everything was ok with us. I picked up on her non-verbal cue and told her that things just got out of control with work and such, and that we were all ok.

To be honest, I finally got to a stack of unopened Christmas cards today. I have not had time to read them. Word must be out with friends and relatives how much I hate the braggie Christmas newsletters (see my post from December 2007) as this year it was notably toned down. I'm a bitch, I know... Love me or hate me.

The most beautiful card/newsletter I received this year was from my mother's cousins in rural Minnesota. The opening paragraph of the letter started off with, "This year started out on a sad note when our brother died in February. We miss him so much, but know he is in a better place. He left behind his eyes so someone else could see the beauty of God's earth."

Wow.... something like that puts things into perspective instantly.

The letter went on describing the pitfalls of growing old and the challenges along with it like losing some independence. The letter also described some long-ago traditions and how Christmas was 70 years ago in rural Minnesota. The letter closed with, "Always keep Christ in Christmas. Trust in God, and love in your hearts."

This is a Christmas newsletter that is NOT getting the half-glance over and going into the recycling bin New Year's eve.

2 comments:

CG said...

That's a great letter. Wow indeed.

I ALMOST didn't send out Christmas cards this year; but we have a whole box still to use...and I guess in the end I lost my nerve for doing something so unconventional! Maybe next year!

The Quiet Rage said...

English people are welcome here anytime....