Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Generation X versus Millennials: Voicemail

 I could rant for hours on the generational differences; however, it will get me nowhere with the younger crowd as they always think they are so hip and worldly.  Just wait millennial, your turn is coming.  Some day YOU will be the old fart complaining about the lack of respect received from the subsequent generations.

Here's one thing that drives me NUTS about millennials - they do NOT listen to their voicemails.  They don't even really use email.  Don't bother leaving a voicemail for a millennial.  They will return your call, eventually, and make you repeat everything you already stated.  Sometimes, because Generation X is older, some details get left out from the voicemail we took time to articulate, and we forget to include when we finally get a call back from a millennial that could be of consequence.  I always tell millennials to listen to the voicemail I left them.  They never do.  Because they are the "'victim" generation, it's all my fault.  They are never responsible for anything. 

Another thing they do not do is write thank you cards for freely given generosity nor RSVP for an event.  They think parties take no planning whatsoever and that food magically appears in the appropriate quantities specifically for their benefit.  They will tell you they are coming to a party and then not show up.  There will be radio silence from an issued invitation and then show up with four (uninvited) of their friends along with a hyper dog. 

Generation X will get even with the millennials.

In a few short years I will show up at dinner time unannounced with my friends, complain that food options served are not gluten free, and let my hyper dog jump and piss all over their furniture.  After dinner I will leave a pile of dirty dishes in their sink and slip out without saying goodbye nor thank you. 


No comments: