Saturday, March 25, 2023

My Mom....DATING????????

 My father died on Christmas Day 2021.  I'm glad my sister lives practically next door, as she is also a widow.  My mom called me yesterday about an antique trunk that she wants to get out of the house asking if I wanted it.  I would guess it to be something from the 1850's and it's really cool, but I'm also in the mode of less-is-more by shedding material objects.  Maybe the Minnesota Historical Society would want it?  

During the phone call my mother casually mentioned that she has a dialogue going with the widower down the street.  They call each other to see if they received the newspaper.  It's an excuse to talk to each other.  I could not believe my ears when she said she was going to invite Mr. Widower down for lemonade.....but she does NOT have a crush on him.  

Come on, mom.  I don't buy that for a second.

I grew up with Mr. Widower's kids.  One of his son's graduated high school the same year I did.  When I was younger and in grade school my older brother teased me relentlessly about that neighbor boy and how he had a crush on me.  It brought me to tears!  

Mr. Widower's deceased wife, Snoopy, was the nosiest of neighbors.  Snoopy had her nose in everybody's business.  She was not a pleasant person and she exuded angry energy.  One of my best friends, JLB, lived next door to Mr. Widower and Snoopy.  When we were teenagers I remember Snoopy hiding under the fishing boat in the yard trying to spy on what we were doing.  We caught her at it, and we gave her the name Devo Spyglass (yes, I'm going back to the 1980's).  

It's strange for me to know my mother has an interest in a man who is not my father.  I know that's my baggage to unpack.  I'm glad mom still has it goin' on at age 80.  That's also my baggage to unpack.  I will NOT impede nor say anything as she has a right to be happy and live her life. 

No comments: