Thursday, February 9, 2023

Elvis (2022) Elvis’s Childhood Scene

 My aunt (my mother's sister) had a HUGE crush on Elvis.  She had a room in her house dedicated to him.  Granted, she was a married woman with 6 kids who lived in rural North Dakota, so it was not like she was going to try to run off with him.  She was an innocent fan who appreciated him and had some fun in the process with decorating her shrine to him.  As I recall, it was quite impressive.  She called it the Elvis Room.  It was filled with memorabilia, records, posters, figurines, event tickets, buttons, and anything else you could think of.....yes, including a 1955 pink Cadillac hot wheel.  

Truth be told.  If anybody ever asked me what my dream car would be, it would be a 1955 pink Cadillac.  I know they are HUGE and expensive and that actually owning one is not in the cards for me, but I can sure appreciate them.  I did receive a little Elvis figurine and his 1955 pink Cadillac as a gift.  It's so darn cute!  So.... I did get my car.  Granted, it's just a miniature figurine but it's cheap to insure, cheap to maintain, fuel efficient, and requires no storage.  It sits on my bookshelf.  I love it when people ask me about it.  Here's a pic.

I guess where I'm going with all of this is that when MRH was here visiting, she asked me if I had ever seen the 'new' Elvis movie that came out about a year ago.  I had not.  Supposedly, it was based on Elvis's life story - the good, the bad, and the ugly.  It's long, about three hours, but we did put it on and watched it.  What I did not realize about Elvis was his roots in the Mississippi black community and how it influenced him.  No wonder he could move like he did and have soul.  No wonder white people freaked out.  Elvis was a white "black" man.  Just think....so many talented black men (and women) were overlooked just because of their skin color.  It took Elvis to don a suit of white skin to get the rest of white America to tune in and pay attention.  

Here's one of my favorite scenes:

No comments: