Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Expert Witness

I've added another title to my job description:  Expert Witness.

I've been at my job for almost 35 years.  That's unheard of in this day and age.  With that being stated, I've come to know many of the people I work with very well along with their families.  

Here's the backstory.  One of the guys I worked with owned his own company.  He and his wife left the business to their son, who had worked for the company all his life (don't get me started on child labor laws).  These wishes were stated in a trust that was prepared by an attorney.  

The dad died about 13 years ago.  The son has been operating the business per the directive of the trust.  Sister is stewing over the trust arrangement that son gets the business.  The mother gets dementia.  Sister gets mother to change the trust.  Son is suddenly out.  

It's an ugly legal battle and the son is trying to establish what he would have accumulated in his pension account had he gone to work for somebody else in a similar position in a similar company.  

I'm the person they want to retain as an expert witness.  I am NOT an actuary, nor a professional money manager/retirement planner and I was very up front about that.  Still, they want to retain me as a witness.  I'm very comfortable giving very approximate estimates that anybody with a 9th grade education could figure out......and they want to pay me for that?  I guess I have credibility.  Thank God, cuz I don't have much else. 

No comments: