Saturday, April 16, 2022

Kohlrabi and Rhubarb

Back when my parents were well and could travel from Minnesota to California they would bring seeds for my husband to plant.  They knew better than to give them to me as my previous post indicated that I do hospice for any and all plants and flowers - they come to me to die.  My husband has a green thumb.  To my credit I do preserve the vegetables via canning and freezing.  I'm not totally useless.  Canning vegetables with a pressure cooker is an art that I learned from my paternal grandmother.  It looks very intimidating at first, but once you do it a few times it becomes old hat.  

To this day I use my paternal grandmother's canning jars.  Yes, gramma, I honor them.

Where I'm going with this is that my parents would bring out kohlrabi seeds and also rhubarb.  Kohlrabi and rhubarb were childhood staples of mine.  I was pretty much shocked that nobody in California really knew what either was being this is such the "foodie" place.  Granted, rhubarb does not grow well in the California climate, but kohlrabi does.  Again, I was looked down upon by the snooty, local California populace as the lowly, Midwest farm girl.

Now kohlrabi and rhubarb are very en vogue.  ..and in all the yuppie foodie blogs.....and I have kick-ass, authentic recipes for both kohlrabi and rhubarb that come from the pioneer days.  Suck THAT you fake-ass pricks.  These fake-ass people did not want to give me the time of day yesterday.  ..... and now?  

They are still fake-ass pricks. 

 



No comments: