Tuesday, April 20, 2021

My Cat

 I've been mourning the past week or so as my beloved cat died.  He was 16.5 and had a myriad of health issues including kidney disease.  We've known for some time that he was not in the best of health as he stopped grooming himself and stopped jumping up on furniture - especially my computer chair as he would walk across my keyboard as I was trying to type.  

I will never forget the day we got him.  It was December 28, 2004.  My daughter and her BFF somehow convinced me to take them to the animal shelter that day 'just to look' at the animals.  My son came along as well that day.  

There was an area where there were kittens in a large cage.  There was young couple there who were also looking at the same kitten my daughter was.  The kitten came up and licked my daughter's finger through the cage.  

That was it.  He was ours thereafter.  The young couple did not have the heart to tear away a little kitten away from a little girl.  

Our cat was not like any other cat.  He thought he was a dog.  Many times neighbors would call him "The Mayor" as he had a very stately stance about him.  Everybody loved our cat.  He greeted those who passed by for pets and loves.  He really did have a local fan club and was a staple of the neighborhood.  

Sorry....I'm jumping all over the place.  I'm very emotional and mourning.  This blog entry is not very linear.  I'm in and out of tears. 

Today I brought leftover food, litter,  and other items that belonged to our cat to the animal shelter.  I was so tempted to want to adopt another one, but.........  there is a black cat with huge green eyes who has started appearing at dusk in our front yard.  She is very skittish which lends me to think she is a stray and does not have a home.  I started to leave food out for her.  We have named her Skade after a character in the Netflix series The Last Kingdom.  Will Skade ever warm up to me?  Only time will tell as I will not force it.  If she is hungry and a stray I will give her a loving home.  If she is hungry and not a stray, I will feed her.  If she just wants to hang around at dusk she can do that as well.  I will give her a safe space for whatever she needs.  

That is how I will honor my cat's passing - by taking care of another cat.  

Here's to you, Mr. Mayor.  We LOVE you and miss you.  I hope you're catching all the mice in kitty Valhalla.  






No comments: