Sunday, February 2, 2020

Super Bowl Sunday

I'm not even a  huge football fan and I love Super Bowl Sunday.  Why?  I love having people over for casual food with the focus on the game.  If people are not in the mood to hold a conversation they turn their focus to the TV without feeling guilty about being antisocial.  The food is all appetizers so there is no pressure with timing to put the meal on the table.   Grandma's china and linens remain put away as it's totally acceptable to use paper plates, paper napkins, and drinking beer from the bottle is not looked down upon.  The formal table setting and seating is non-existent.  There are no expectations of gifts.  There are no expectations to spend Super Bowl with "family" or other long-standing unspoken family contracts.

Don't get me wrong, I love using grandma's china and linens and keeping the sacred traditions of family meals and dinner parties alive.  However, it's a fun break to wear sweats and a sports jersey and eat with the fingers.

I really don't care who wins today or not.  I suppose the 49ers because they are a local team, but in my several decades on this earth plane the winner of the Super Bowl has had nil impact on my life.  Life will go on no matter who wins.  I bet you can't even name the winner of the Super Bowl 8 years ago.  See?  That's how much it really matters in the big picture.

Here's what's on the menu for today:  Chicken wings, tri-tip sliders, hot cheddar bean dip, ranch dip, onion dip, salsa, every kind of chip imaginable, deviled eggs, fondue, home-made bread, and some vegetables just to have something healthy available (laughing hysterically).  Of course, just about everything is home-made.  I know I get a pass on the junk food because it's Super Bowl, but but but....but I just can't help myself.  If we are going to eat junk food, it's going to be QUALITY junk food (an oxymoron, I know).

Get together with your family and friends today.  Enjoy this casual and fun celebration of men throwing and fighting over a BALL. 

No comments: