Monday, May 29, 2017

"revealing" party

...i need something light to bitch about today.  It's been rather demanding and draining for Quiet Rage lately.  Sigh.  I need a vacation.  A real vacation. Anyway.......

I've noticed a trend with expectant parents as of late.  The concept of a baby shower, where your female friends gather to give gifts to the first-time mom the necessities of a nursery, have been converted into co-ed borderline beer bash BBQ's complete with pink or blue colored fireworks, military fly-overs with colored emissions, and other over the top demonstrations that announce the sex of the baby -- complete with a parade down main street.

These parties usually include sonograms blown up into poster size wall coverings of the fetus's private parts to display the obvious.  Wow.  Poor kid isn't even born and adults are photographing its genitals for the entire world to obsess over.  I can wait until after the birth to find out and all I need is a verbal "it's a boy".  And no, I don't care to see videos of the birth no matter how life changing the magical event of the process was for you.  Trust me. 

The generation that is now becoming parents are obsessing over the assigning and labeling the sex of their unborn children.  This is the same generation that prides itself on LGBTQ (keep inserting letters as I can't keep track).  Someday, when the kid gets old enough to see pictures and videos of the "revealing" party, I predict *resentment* when the kid "comes out" as identifying with the opposite of the assigned sex with all the expected gender roles that were assigned by well-meaning parents. 

The irony is not lost on me......and i can't make this stuff up, people. 




No comments: