Friday, October 17, 2008

Bring Back the '80s

Yeah, I had a damn good time as a teenager in the 80's. I'd do anything to relive it. The technology boom was just beginning. We had good music. I hosted some kick-ass parties. Beer keggers were at high school graduation parties -- and guess what -- NOBODY freaked out about it. We had fun hair, fun clothing, and punk rock. We stayed out until 3:00 AM. We *gasp* WALKED to school without a school sponsored sniper at every corner poised to peg off any potential "stranger" who may approach us. What more could you ask for? Everything was full of promise.

Fast-forward 25 years. One fateful day the "political correctness" do-gooders, PTA police arrived trying to question every decision as a parent and to pass judgement on each child who "colored outside the lines."

Kids are no longer allowed to gather in the neighborhood to play "kick the can" or whatever neighborhood games we used to play together. There needs to be a "responsible adult" present at ALL times micromanaging everything.

Attention hyper control-freak parents: LET IT GO!!!! Most of everything useful in life I've learned has happened on the playground or else where when there wasn't an adult around to "rescue" or "monitor" me. I had to rely on my own intellect and instinct to figure it out. Did I make some bad decisions? Of course I did. How else was I going to learn?

BRING BACK THE 80's!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just not sure it's a good idea to bring back the hair, velvet jacket and cowboy boots :o)

CG said...

Great to see you posting again. I agree with your other commenter on 80s fashion though!!