Monday, December 27, 2021

Merry Christmas - NOT!

 I'm dreading it already....the chirpy inquiry, "How was your Christmas?"

I know the question is not aimed at making me feel miserable and is a general conversation opener.  Here's how my Christmas was.

MY DAD DIED ON THE TOILET ON CHRISTMAS DAY.

Yup.  There it is in all the glorious details.  Dad died on the toilet after having prime rib and a beer for Christmas dinner.  He had asked me for my favorite prime rib recipe, which I gladly shared a few days prior.  

Dad had been sick for a while, but he was in a stable state and we did not expect him to go the way he did.  I'm sure he was not expecting it either.  I won't go into the details as I've already overshared.  

I'm going to miss his Midwest style of crusty orneriness.  He could smell B.S. ten miles away and knew if somebody was genuine or fake.  He had no time for fake people.  Say what you mean and mean what you say, if not keep your flap shut.  My favorite quote from him was, "If a man's word ain't worth nothin' then the man ain't worth nothin." 


No comments: