Wednesday, September 9, 2026

September 11, 2001

Yes, we all have stores as to where we were when 9/11 happened.  I can't believe it's been 25 years.  Stating that it's been a quarter of a century seems to make it seem more ancient.  All I know is that it was the day the music died for Generation X.  At least for this Gen X gal, anyway.  I'm sure those who witnessed the bombing of Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, have a similar feeling.  Something forever shifted.  

I recall the morning of September 11, 2001, perfectly.  My husband was already up making coffee and whatnot in the kitchen.  I was still in bed.  I remember him rushing into our bedroom and turning on the television.  In my foggy half-awake-half-sleep I asked him why he turned on the tv as he handed me a cup of coffee.

He said, "One of the Twin Towers in New York just had a plane crash through it.  I don't think this is over.  Something else is about to happen."

With that I sat up in bed, coffee cup in hand, and watched the second plane hit the other tower.  This was not what I was expecting on an otherwise usual Tuesday Morning.  I was to be in San Francisco for a meeting that day.  Not knowing what to do, I did my usual morning routine.  I got ready for my meeting and headed to San Francisco.  I was turned around at the Golden Gate Bridge.  Everything was shut down.  I came back to Sonoma County where everybody was equally stunned.  

I liken my response to being dumb-stunned and turned around at the Golden Gate Bridge to a deer caught in the headlights.  I still have that response 25 years later with all that has changed because of 9/11.   

Bottom Line:  We are no freer nor safer today despite all the mandates and laws put in place to "protect" us.   

No comments: